Image Map

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Is it time to go home yet???

Oh my stars in Heaven... teaching time  to the minute can wear me out and have me asking, "Is it time to go home yet??". Of all the units I teach,  I think this one is the most divisive.   It seems that kids get it immediately or it takes for-evvvvaaa! I am not sure why this seems so difficult to grasp, but I have a suspicion that it is because no one really uses an analog clock anymore.   We have one in each classroom,  but my kids also have their own computers,  so each of them have a digital clock on their computer,  we have digital clocks in the hallways,  on our phones,  at their homes.  When I ask my kiddos to look at the clock,  they just look through the window into the hall and read the digital one.  Ughhhhh!!!  It really does seem like a skill that is going to go by the wayside sometime, but not today, so today I taught it!


We made a human clock on our classroom floor.  We simply made a chalk circle on the carpet (it wears off in a few minutes) and the kids took turns being the hands and the minutes.  I think they are starting to get it.

Tomorrow we are going to start using Amy Lemons' amazing time unit - check it out at http://stepintosecondgrade.blogspot.com/.  I will let you know how it is coming along.

We also started working on our dictionary skills today.  We received an amazing Donors Choose grant last year for a set of dictionaries.   They are so much better than what we had for the primary grades at our school. They actually have most of their vocabulary words inside (imagine that!).
 

I made up a little set of worksheets to go with it that I put up as a freebie on TpT.  Go pick it up if you could use one.  It is very simple,  nothing fancy,  but something already made,  so that is something, right?  Just click the picture below!




I hope you had an excellent day...
 



Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment