Image Map

Friday, October 26, 2012

Who says there is no prayer in public school?

Without a doubt,  the theme of my day was, "Pray for Them".  I can't tell you how many times people have mentioned this today. First, my amazing principal mentioned it when another teacher was asking about what else we could do to help our students (on top of EVERY intervention ever thought of) and she responded, "PRAY".  We giggled about it,  but we all knew that there was more truth in it than giggle. It got me thinking, and kind of weepy (which is no surprise to anyone who knows me) about our days as teachers.  People who claim there is no prayer in school are dead wrong.  There is an incredible amount of prayer that floats up from schools,  from the teachers, administrators and I am sure,  kids. 

I don't think most people understand how difficult teaching can be at times.  Yes,  there are a million papers to grade, and lesson plans to write and notes and emails to read and respond to, and data to desegregate, and kids to corral.... but then there is the really hard stuff.   The reports we sometimes have to make,  the stories we hear,  the reality of just how unfair life can be at times.   The stuff that we can't make better with all the cute clip art in the world.  But we try, and we PRAY.  For strength. For guidance. For peace.  For the complete annihilation of lice.   We pray.

I am so blessed to work with and for people who I know have my back.  I am extra blessed that I know my own children are loved and taken care of by some of the best people I know.   I pray that they know how much they mean to me. 

This year our school is doing a book study on the book The Energy Bus, which is great, super quick read.   I highly recommend it.   One of the suggestions in the book is to have a rock with a message that keeps you grounded.   At a staff development meeting we each were given a rock (our incredible secretary found them all on her summer vacation) to write ourselves a message on.  This is my rock, and I very honestly look back at it all the time.  What would your rock say?
 
 

I hope that you all have a blessed and peaceful weekend!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment