Image Map

Friday, June 14, 2013

Arghhhhh- Immersion and Rapport!

Immersion and Rapport...

Immersion - I needed this chapter - like absolutely needed it.  It hit me over the head like a hammer -  and not as a teacher today,  but as a mom.   It is all about really being there in the moment, in your classroom and in my life.   I was reading it as my kids were laughing at each other around me and I stopped,  put the book down and went and played with them.   As teachers (and parents) we have information zooming at us from every direction - emails and tweets,  Instagram pics,  kids asking us questions every second,  other adults needing things from us.... it gets overwhelming.  Sometimes I am doing 5 things at once,  and not focusing on what is most important - the precious ones in front of me,  whether they be my own babies or my classroom babies.   And they FEEL it.   I really internalized this chapter and I hope that I don't lose sight of it in the fall when things start flying at me.  They deserve to have my full attention - to feel like they are they are the most important thing to me in that moment.   It reminded me of a quote from one of my very favorite children's books - The Three Questions by Jon Muth - "Remember then that there is only one important time, and that time is now. The most important one is always the one you are with. And the most important thing is to do good for the one who is standing at your side. For these, my dear boy, are the answers to what is most important in this world."  Ummm... Amen!


The next chapter was Rapport.   I loved this chapter.   I kept thinking I love this guy while I was reading it.  I have no doubt that he is loved in his school.    And he has their attention.   One of the best trainings I have ever been through in my career has been, "Capturing Kids Hearts by Flip Flippin (for real, that's his name!).  It was all about building rapport and relationships and this chapter reminded me so much of that.   They don't care what we know,  until they know that we care.   I build my year on this concept.   I live my life on this concept.  I love that this chapter serves as such a fabulous reminder of that.     If you haven't been hooked to read this book,  please consider it.   I can't imagine there is a teacher alive that this book couldn't touch in a positive way.

Join in the book study right here or here..


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment